Desertscape Blanket Crochet Pattern – Cactus Bloom Stitch (Part 3)
Inside – Learn how to crochet the Cactus Bloom Stitch with this free tutorial, and work on Part 3 of the Desertscape Crochet Blanket.
In this blog post, you will learn how to crochet the Cactus Bloom Stitch. This is Part 3 of the Desertscape Crochet Blanket. Explore a world of brightly colored cactus blooms while you work up this crochet stitch pattern.
Cactus Blooms Contained in a Crochet Stitch
You can’t have a blanket inspired by the desert and cacti without including the blooms.
When I first moved out to the desert, I couldn’t get over how brown and washed out the landscape looked from the lack of grass. However, as the seasons changed, I witnessed the magic of the desert. Give it a little rain, and you’ll see the washed out hues of green brighten and pop from the rocks. Springtime in any desert is one of the greatest wonders – to watch blooms grow and blossom, is spectacular.
This part of the Desertscape Crochet Blanket reminds me of all those anticipated blooms.
How to Crochet the Cactus Bloom Stitch
The Cactus Bloom Stitch features the Star Stitch. Doesn’t it look like a freshly opened cactus bloom?! The Star Stitch is pretty straightforward, but it is an advanced beginner stitch. Take care to read through the written instructions, and watch the video tutorial below to get a handle on this stitch.
Ready to stitch up the Desertscape Blanket? Scroll down for the free pattern, or purchase the Desertscape Blanket eBook in my Etsy Shop or Ravelry Store.
Yarn + Substitutes
Paintbox Yarns are my all time favorite budget yarn. The Desertscape Blanket uses the Simply Aran in Champagne White and Pine. Their acrylic yarns are soft, plush, and never split while I crochet. Plus, a big reason I keep coming back to Paintbox Yarns is the color palette. It’s to dye for, and the colors on the screen are reliable in person.
Shop Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran here.
If you want to use yarn from your LYS (local yarn store), or your stash, then I recommend staying with a mostly acrylic yarn. You’ll get the same results as I did while you work on your blanket.
Desertscape Blanket CAL Info
The Desertscape Blanket is a new, free crochet pattern on the High Desert Yarn Blog. We’ll explore textured stitches and Intarsia crochet charts that feature all things majestic in the desert. A new section will be released each Monday starting on April 10, 2023.
If you’d like email reminders when each section is released, you can sign up here.
The CAL is taking place in the HDY Handmade Community on Facebook. We’ll share our WIP pictures, and support each other during the crochet process. I’ll be available in the Facebook Group and through email to answer any questions.
Join the HDY Handmade Community here.
If this is the first you’re hearing of the Desertscape Blanket CAL – Welcome!! I’m thrilled to have you join us. Everyone in the HDY Handmade Community on Facebook is working through the project at their own pace.
If you need to start with Part 1, then click here for the Golden Barrel Cactus pattern.
If you need to start at the very beginning, you can read through the Desertscape Blanket CAL Information page. It gives you all the details about the whole blanket pattern, and help you deep dive into meeting the right gauge.
Click here to read through all of the Desertscape Blanket information.
NOTE ABOUT THIS FREE CROCHET PATTERN :
Thank you for choosing this free pattern as part of your crochet journey! It’s an honor for you to be here, browsing the High Desert Yarn Blog. This pattern is 100% free for you to crochet from, but please, do not screenshot, or copy+paste this pattern. However, work directly from this webpage. The ad revenue from this website allows me to offer free crochet patterns. If you do not like the scrolling, or ads, then you may purchase the ad-free PDF in my Etsy Shop or Ravelry Store. Thank you for your cooperation. Happy creating! -Joanna (Owner + Creative)
- Yarn – Worsted Weight/category 4
- I used Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran in Champagne White and Pine.
- Substitutes : Any other worsted/category 4 yarn will work
- Crochet Hook – H/8 (5.00mm) or correct hook to meet gauge
- Tapestry Needle
- Experience Level – Advanced Beginner. You will need to know how to Half Double Crochet, and Star Stitch prior to starting this pattern.
- CH 1 at the end of a row DOES NOT count as a stitch.
- This pattern is worked in turning rows.
Gauge + Finished Size
Gauge for the whole Desertscape Blanket is based off of the Intarsia Crochet sections. It’s important that you work up the practice swatch on the Information Page BEFORE starting the Desertscape Blanket. If you need help meeting gauge, please send an email to Joanna at firstname.lastname@example.org
The height of this section will meet approximately 5″.
American (US) terms used throughout.
CH(S) – chain(s)
HDC – half double crochet
FLO – front loop only
ST(S) – stitch(es)
YO – yarn over
STAR – star stitch
Star Stitch (STAR)
- First STAR of the row – CH 3, Insert hook in 2nd CH from hook, YO and pull up loop (2 loops on the hook), Insert hook into 3rd CH from hook, YO and pull up loop (3 loops on the hook), Insert hook into 1st ST, YO and pull up loop (4 loops on hook), Insert hook into 2nd ST, YO and pull up loop (5 loops on hook), Insert hook into 3rd ST, YO and pull up loop (6 loops on hook), YO and pull through all loops on hook. CH 1 to close the ST.
- Second STAR of the row – Insert hook into the “eye” of the previous STAR (this is the CH 1 from the 1st STAR), YO and pull up loop (2 loops on hook), Insert hook under the 6th loop of the STAR (the last loop of the 1st STAR), YO and pull up loop (3 loops on hook), Insert hook into the 3rd ST of the row (both STARs share this ST), YO and pull up loop (4 loops on hook), Insert hook into next ST, YO and pull up loop (5 loops on hook), Insert hook into next ST, YO and pull up loop (6 loops on hook), YO and pull through all loops on hook. CH 1 to close the ST.
- Repeat the Second STAR across the row.
- Find the Video Tutorial to the Cactus Bloom Section here.
Row 1: HDC in each ST across. CH 1. Turn. (200 STS)
Row 2: FLO HDC in each ST across. CH 3. Turn. (200 STS)
Row 3: STAR across the row. (The last STAR ST will be a partial STAR with only 5 loops.) HDC in the last ST of the row. CH 1. Turn. (99 STAR, 1 HDC)
Row 4: HDC in 1st ST. 2 HDC in the “eye” of each STAR. HDC in the “top” of the last STAR. CH 1. Turn. (200 STS)
Rows 5 – 12 : Repeat Rows 1 – 4 twice.
You are free to use this crochet pattern to make and sell the final product, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT claim it as your own in part or in whole. Please give credit to High Desert Yarn, as the designer, in your listings, on your blog, or social media platforms. All images are property of High Desert Yarn. Do not use any of these images as your own.
Ready for the next section?
It’ll be released on May 1, 2023! So, what can you do in the meantime?
- Signup for email reminders to never miss a new section – click here
- Share your progress to the HDY Handmade Community Group – click here
High Desert Yarn is made possible by YOUR support. Thank you for reading this blog post, and helping build High Desert Yarn. Happy Creating, Joanna