Front Post Double Crochet Tutorial
In this tutorial, you will learn how create the Front Post Double Crochet Stitch. The stitch is easy to learn, quick to master, and adds beautiful texture to any crocheted piece. Go grab your favorite yarn and hook to learn this stitch with me!
- Yarn — Today I’m using Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky in two contrasting colors, but you will only need one color.
- Hook — I’m crocheting with a J/10 (6.00mm), but any corresponding hook to your yarn will work.
- A little bit of patience!
American (US) terms used throughout.
- CH – chain
- DC – double crochet
- FPDC – front post double crochet
- ST(S) – stitch(es)
- YO – yarn over
Let’s begin the Front Post Double Crochet!
First, create a chain of any number +2. (I did a CH of 12.)
Row 1 : DC in the 3rd CH from the hook. DC in each CH until end of row. CH 2. Turn.
For this tutorial, I started Row 2 with 3 DCs to illustrate the difference between the DC and FPDC stitches.
Row 2 : DC in the next 3 STS.
Now, let’s learn how to create this stitch!
YO. Insert hook from the front of the stitch, and on the right side of the post.
Wrap the hook around the back of the post. Insert the hook on the left side of the post. YO.
Pull yarn around the back of the post, and through to the front. YO and pull through the first 2 loops on hook.
YO and pull through remaining loops on the hook. The Front Post Double Crochet Stitch is complete!
Continue to place a FPDC in each ST until the end of the row.
Try these crochet patterns to help you master this stitch!
- Confetti Baby Beanie by High Desert Yarn — release date 11/04/2020
- Simply Striped Sweater by High Desert Yarn — release date December 2020
- Mia Head Scarf by Kickin Crochet
Want to learn more crochet stitches? Check out my other tutorials.
- Back Post Double Crochet (the sister stitch to the FPDC)
- V Stitch (variation of the double crochet)
- Puff Stitch (adds lovely texture)