Paired Half Double Crochet Stitch
In this tutorial, you will learn how create the Paired Half Double Crochet Stitch. This stitch is easy to learn, and acts like the Puff Stitch without the bulk. Go grab your favorite yarn and hook to learn this stitch with me!
Be sure to save this tutorial to your Crochet Stitch Dictionary on Pinterest!
Yarn — Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in Beige.
Hook — I/9 (5.50mm)
American (US) terms used throughout.
- CH – chain
- HDC – half double crochet
- PHDC – paired half double crochet
- ST(S) – stitch(es)
- YO – yarn over
Let’s begin the Paired Half Double Crochet
First, I am going to show you how to crochet the Paired Half Double Crochet as if I am making the Brioche Bun Crochet Scarf (pattern releasing January 27, 2021). However, if you want to create a practice swatch, or add this stitch into a crochet project, start by creating a chain of multiples of 2 + 1. Any length will do! When I create a swatch, I like to make a chain of 15 to provide enough width to learn the feel of the fabric.
Row 1 : HDC in the second CH from your hook, and across the foundation CH. CH 1. Turn.
Row 2 : HDC in the 1st ST. *Now, we start the PHDC.* [YO and insert hook into the previous ST, YO and pull up one loop. (3 loops on the hook.) YO and insert hook into next ST, YO and pull up one loop. (5 loops on the hook.) YO and pull through all loops on the hook.] Repeat […] until 1 ST remains in the row. HDC in the last ST. CH 1. Turn.
Repeat Row 2 as many times as you’d like.
First, place a HDC at the beginning of your row.
Next, YO and insert your hook into the previous ST. (This is the same ST as the HDC–the first ST of the row.)
YO and pull up one loop. (3 loops on the hook)
Now, the first half of the PHDC is complete.
For this next part, we will be working into the next ST, or the second ST of the row.
YO and insert your hook into the next ST.
YO and pull up one loop. (5 loops on the hook.)
YO and pull through all 5 loops.
The Paired Half Double Crochet is complete!
Continue this stitch across the row.
Tips to keep in mind
- Always place the first half of the PHDC into the previous stitch.
- At the end of the row, the PHDC stitch count will the same as the previous row’s stitch count. (You’re not increasing, or decreasing, stitches!)
- Practice, and play around with this new stitch to be sure it looks right in your project.
If you would like a video tutorial for the Paired Half Double Crochet, check out this video below.
Try these crochet patterns to help you master the Paired Half Double Crochet!
- Brioche Bun Crochet Scarf by High Desert Yarn (releasing January 27, 2021)
- Ashley Cozy Hat by Creations by Courtney
Want to learn more crochet stitches? Check out my other tutorials.
- Back Post Double Crochet (the sister stitch to the FPDC)
- V Stitch (variation of the double crochet)
- Puff Stitch (adds lovely texture)